Deep Time Dreaming: Uncovering Ancient Australia
People would have known about Australia before they saw it. Smoke billowing above the sea spoke of a land that lay beyond the horizon. A dense cloud of migrating birds may have pointed the way. But the first Australians were voyaging into the unknown.
Soon after Billy Griffiths joins his first archaeological dig as camp manager and cook, he is hooked. Equipped with a historian’s inquiring mind, he embarks on a journey through time, seeking to understand the extraordinary deep history of the Australian continent.
Deep Time Dreaming is the passionate product of that journey. It investigates a twin revolution: the reassertion of Aboriginal identity in the second half of the twentieth century, and the uncovering of the traces of ancient Australia.
It explores what it means to live in a place of great antiquity, with its complex questions of ownership and belonging. It is about a slow shift in national consciousness: the deep time dreaming that has changed the way many of us relate to this continent and its enduring, dynamic human history.
Awards for Deep Time Dreaming
- Winner, 2018 John Mulvaney Book Award
- Winner, Book of the Year at the 2019 NSW Premier's Literary Awards
- Winner, Douglas Stewart Prize for Non-fiction at the 2019 NSW Premier's Literary Awards
- Shortlisted, 2018 Queensland Literary Awards
- Longlisted, 2019 Australian Book Industry Awards
234mm x 153mm